Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hand tattooing



Above is my first draft idea at the assignment for tattooing my hand with autobiographical facts about myself. I took the brief too literally and created what I believe is a good image, but not to the brief given. Many of these elements still exist in my final image below and are explained in the description under the image.



This is my hand tattooed with autobiographical features about myself.
The first decision I made was that I wanted the picture to be of my left hand. This is due to the fact that it allows me to show my wedding ring in the picture, and my wedding was one of, if not the most important and proudest moments in my life. I also emphasized this point by leaving my wedding ring in colour.

I chose to show my hand in black and white as I love black and white photography, and I wanted to show a contrast to the images tattooed onto the skin.
Each strand of colour is made up of facts from different aspects of my life. Each strand emanates from the finger tips, and flows and mixes with the other strands to join up as one ‘vein’ of life blood (all the things that make you your own person, and show your ‘life’).

The strands are also made up of different colours and fonts to represent what they are showing. The font size is quite small as I wanted the text to look almost like an aura flowing on the hand, and not look like a block of text. By doing it this way it also allowed me to increase the amount of history I was able to write.

The top strand is green as it represents my travels to New Zealand, a famously ‘green’ country. The second strand is all about my wife, hence the romantic, swirlly, red font to represent the passion I feel for her. This strand is also on the finger with the wedding ring as obviously the two are linked. The middle finger is about my family, so the colour is blue to show the family ‘blood line’. The finger nearest the thumb describes my hobbies which center around computers so I chose a blocky style font to look like the old computer text. Finally, the thumb symbolizes the place where I grew up, which I love, so I chose my favorite colour, purple, and my favorite font, Arial.

No comments:

Post a Comment