Monday, November 2, 2009

Rhetoric

The effective presentation of ideas, or simply the art of argument. First a brief history. Rhetoric is one of three original liberal arts in western cultures, along with grammar (the correct use of language), and logic (testing and inventing knowledge, mainly through questioning things). It was taught by the ancient Greeks and Romans, and is just making a come back now after 2500 years. Classic philosophers believed it was essential in the discovery of truths.
There are many rhetoric techniques and devices which can and are used to construct an effective argument. I could list them but we would be here for a long time, however the main ideas are contrasts, three part lists, and language devices.
I was intending to put forward an intellectual piece on the use of rhetoric, but whilst trying to construct an argument of my own to show its’ effectiveness, I learnt and realised that most if not all people use these devices whether they are doing so consciously or not. Therefore there is no thing to prove, it works, and must do to have been an art form for so long.
I never set out to write a piece with these techniques in mind, I try to connect with my audience on a more personal level, rather than writing something which feels clinical and cold, but by doing so I inadvertently use these devices to make my case. I also think that this is an art form which has stood the test of time, and many great men and women have debated it for a lot longer than I am going to do, so I shouldn’t have too stronger personal opinion on the topic other than to acknowledge it exists and works, and everyone seems to have an understanding of its uses to one degree or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment