Friday, October 2, 2009

First Steps (IDAT 106)

After realising that I know nothing about the area of Stonehouse I thought that it would be a good idea to get ahead of the game with some basic research.
Using a well known search engine on the Internet I found that:

1) Stonehouse area has been used for settlement since Roman times.

2)For nearly a century before WW2 it has the city's night life capital with over one hundred pubs and clubs (music and dance halls).

3)For centuries it has been a significant naval area and the night life was a by-product of this.

4)More recently it has been through major regeneration with the government pushing development of brown field site (land which has already been developed) as opposed to green field sites. As a result the area is fast losing the perception of one of west Europe's poorest areas and turning into a thriving residential area.

I'm sure this info will help me, if no-one else, as now I at least have an idea of the area and what to expect when we visit soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment