Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Processing step one

Our project brief was to take the RSS feeds from the Arch-OS system, then using Processing, take some of that environmental data and visualise this in an aesthetic way. The result must also be animated in some way, but have no interactivity.
There are two feeds, a live feed for the data at http://arch-os.scce.plymouth.ac.uk/bms_data.rss and also an archive of past data at http://x2.i-dat.org/archos/archive.rss


The first action I took was to enter the addresses into a browser to see what data types were available. There was basically data which fell into four groups, one for outside of the building, which included geographical data like wind speed and direction, rain fall, and temperatures etc. The other groups were effectively one for each of the three parts of the building, which contained data do to with the interior of the building, i.e. CO2 levels, elec use, and temperature.


I decided that the processing sketch could represent one of two things, literal data, or an abstract realisation of that data. My problem lay with the fact that I am a very literal person, and if asked to use data, I will show data. However this would not be very aesthetic, nor would it fill the brief, so I intend to produce something which fills both camps. To achieve this I propose to do a visual representation of something like a scion experiment or diagram, this will mean it is not just a set of figures, but people will also be able to relate to it. I also would like to use the exterior data due to the fact that it is to be displayed outside, agin so people can relate, and I find the data available for the outside to be more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment